Wednesday, December 23, 2009

3D Modeling: Mech Animation

My goal was to model a mech robot. When I first started this model I thought it would be a lot faster than an organic object like a human. And, my first attempt was really fast.
It took me about 5-10 minutes to make this model:


But, when I tried to texture it I found that it was quite a different process. Instead of being one model, it's more like creating a collection of models. I attempted to texture it twice before I realized this wasn't working. So, I decided to take a different approach. I created a few parts that I could reuse in multiple places and textured them individually. The result was a much nicer model.
Here is the video of the walk sequence.



Going through this process exposed a few bugs in my program that needed attention. My process involves using my tools and discovering things that need improvement or are missing. Then, fixing the tool so that things go smoother. The reward for me is not only the model but the ritual. Someone recently told me that a good programmer has to be a perfectionist. Always paying attention to every detail. There's another profession I can think of that requires that same skill. Only it comes from the other hemisphere of the brain...

Happy Coding!
Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment